Vicky's Progress

Kelly's Progress

Kathleen's Progress

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Up and Down like a YoYo Part III






Up and Down like a Yo Yo was blogged on April 12, 2008 this is now my continuation as Part III to present. My life was going great No complaints, loving life and my family and work. I enjoying being a homemaker and an Avon entrepreneur and real estate agent.
Age 57 at my Mom's 80th Surprise birthday party



At 38 and feeling full of energy I won the Avon all paid 8 day expense trip to Hawaii in 1982.

Delivery day of 56 boxes that I had to pack and deliver December 1982
I was not concerned about my weight, I enjoyed eating and having fun. I wish I had taken better care of my health, because at age 59 I was in for a unexpected event. It all began unexpectedly I was going with my son, Mark and husband to a health fair at the Providence Convention Center. It was October 7, 2003 It was going to be a fun day, tasting healthy food and being entertained. Was I in for the surprise of my life. We decided when we entered that we would each go our own way and meet at the cooking stations in the rear in an hour. I decided I would enter and go to my right and the first booth were the nurses of Care of New England. I was approached and asked if I had ever been tested for sugar. I said "no" I was told it was just a prick on my finger and a meter would report a reading. I felt great, my weight I felt wasn't that bad at 168 , so I said "sure"
They tried 3 times to get an amount to put on the strip and finally the nurse said to me I think my machine needs new batteries, go to the next nurse and have her test you. My reading was 329 and I was told to go to my doctor and discuss have Diabetes type II.


I had no family doctor so the next day I went to a walk in Medical center and Dr Sue Clement said my reading was 268 and she began me on 5 mg of glucotrol. She told be to find a family doctor and be treated for this illness. I asked the nurses on duty who they felt would be caring and help me be proactive in my life, BECAUSE THIS WAS NOW A LIFE CHANGING MOMENT. I called a Dr Mark Rosenberg, who went over my lab results and had me attend nutrition classes and begin walking 15 minutes daily. My Hba1c was 7.5 He said he wanted it under 7. I was put on 500mg of metformin and 40mg of lisinipril. This was the beginning of me watching what went into my mouth and writing everything down. When I shop I look for
o grams-8 grams of sugar, I avoid fried foods and have practically eliminated the pasta and no more white bread. Today 4 years later I have the diabetes controlled, but if I can lose more weight and exercise more I might be able to control it without the medication. That is my goal.


1 comment:

Vicky said...

HOORAY! You finally blogged more to your story. I am glad your diabetes is being managed. It would be great if you didn't have to take the medicine. :) One day weall need to take a trip to Hawaii. John still talks about it to this day. He loved it!