Vicky's Progress

Kelly's Progress

Kathleen's Progress

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

up and down like a YOYO, that's me

Growing up as a child I was rather skinny, except for my thighs, always had that problem even as I lost the weight through the years. My Mom always said I had large bones. Growing up as a child I walked and walked it seemed all over East Providence with my Godmother Isabel ( My Mom's older sister). As a family we would go roller skating, bowling, ice skating, and swimming.
AGE 7 at the Galilee Beach1955

At AGE 11, 1955- I began to add on some weight, I am with my first cousin, Donna Jean White. It was her First Communion, she was 7. I was the oldest in the family of all the cousins on both parents' sides.

Here is a family photo at the christening of my baby sister, Maureen Jean, January1958. Now I am a teenager and adding on the weight, age 14. My brother, Edmund is 10 years old.
We are 4 years apart. Being the oldest was tough, since I was told "you need to set a good example for your brother and sister."

Once I began Junior High, the peer pressure was on and I kept adding the pounds, I wanted to date but my parents were very strict and I could only go out with a group of friends or to school dances. I wasn't able to join scouting or even the band, since I was told we didn't have the money. All my teen friends were doing things that I could not. I ate to relieve my stress and frustration. I had strict curfews and could not wear even lipstick. My father was born in this country but had the old fashion ways of parenting. Children could be with adults and were seen but could speak unless spoken to.
My 1962 East Providence Sr High School Photo
Once I began the 10th grade and my High School years I lost over 20 pounds. I was very active in afternoon competitive Intermural sports, basketball, softball, soccer were my favorites. I was active in many clubs and took officer positions, I even ran for class secretary. I wanted to go to my Junior prom and Senior prom in a gown that was not for "chubby" heavy girls. I actually went from size 18 to size 12 during that time.






After High School I went to Rhode Island College and graduated in 1966 In the photo left to right, My Aunt Dudater (father's sister), Aunt Isabel (Mom's older sister), self and Aunt Dottie (Mom's younger sister)
This is my Rhode Island College class photo 1966.
I began my teaching career at Meadowcrest Elementary School where I taught 5th grade and was Safety Patrol Supervisor.
During that first year 1966-1967 I met my husband-to-be, John William Corbett. We met at a dance on February 11, 1967 and history was made, We fell in love.That is related in another blog. During the Summer of 1967, I attended Syracuse University where I was going to get my Master of Fine Arts degree, but I began to get homesick and missed my new lover. I returned to Rhode Island and became engaged, We were married June 28, 1969 (that is another story in another blog , too) Now I am really losing weight. I am in love, home sick and walking up and down the hills of Syracuse, New York, carrying heavy art portfolios. A really great workout. The art poster was one of my many creations, I majored in Art with specialties in Design and Ceramics. While I was in classes I received this special I love you and miss you bouquet from John. I went swimming in the Finger Lakes ( size 10 swimsuit)
Losing pounds after pounds, not eating much and constantly burning calories.







Returning to Rhode Island College in a Master of Teaching program at Rhode Island College, I enrolled part time. This is my Engagement picture 1968
I was now weighing my lowest in my adult life I was doen to 118 and my wedding gown was a size 9 Unbelievable.

To be continued.......once I am married and get pregnant twice, all those pounds begin to pile back on until I reached my highest during my first pregnancy of 188 pounds.

















2 comments:

Vicky said...

Love the photos!!! My mom had the same hair style as you back in the late 60's with the little flip. Thanks for sharing. I look forward to your progress. We can compare our notes when we see each other.

Jenny said...

It was interesting to see your story and pictures. I too have always had a thigh problem, which is good and bad. Most people don't notice my legs unless I'm wearing a swimsuit (which only happens once a year or so). They look at me and think I'm skinny because they see me from the waist up. But it seems like it is sooo hard to lose weight off my legs! Plus I can't wear anything but A-line dresses, and jeans are always too big in the waist if they fit my legs. I'm going to try to find some exercises to help my legs specifically.