Vicky's Progress

Kelly's Progress

Kathleen's Progress

Thursday, April 17, 2008

How becoming a hooker can help you lose weight!

It has helped me a lot. Crocheting, that is. Here's why.

1) Have you ever been watching TV and thought "Gosh, I could really use a snack about now?" Even if you weren't hungry at all? And ended up eating potato chips/buttery popcorn/ice cream? I have. TV is designed that way. It will almost occupy your mind, but not quite. They get you at the commercials, showing you a close-up of the inside of a Milky Way bar, and before you know it you're on your way to the kitchen! You need something to do with yourself because you're bored, and since there's not much else to do, you eat! This has happened to me countless times and it almost happened to my mom the other day while watching a movie UNTIL she pulled out a hat to crochet instead. Next time you have a TV-time craving, try satisfying it with an activity rather than a snack. I prefer crocheting but it could be anything. Play with Silly Putty if you want; just find something to do with your hands!

2) It's an anxiety buster. I am an anxious person, and sometimes to get my mind off things it's tempting to have an extra snack. But crocheting is far more calming and rewarding, and I can do it as long as I want. This also works if you are angry or irritable. I sit down with my yarn and the tension just melts away.

If you haven't tried crocheting and want to, I can show you or there are many resources online. There are also books you can buy but I'd check around online first. I only know how to do a couple of things and I'm pretty sure I was making mistakes doing those, but luckily it didn't turn out half bad so far:
This is an old picture. It's bigger now, and I've had to buy more yarn. It's going to be a blanket for Suzi.

About my weight: I've lost almost as much as I want to lose, and without too much trouble. The breastfeeding has no doubt helped. However, my pant size is disappointing me. I am going to try to find exercises to tone up around my legs. Vicky suggested yoga, and I might try it although I never saw myself as a yoga person.

2 comments:

Vicky said...

To funny on the title! LOL Thank you for showing me how to become a hooker!!!

Anonymous said...

Yoga is SO much fun. It is a BIG stress buster too! I use to do yoga all the time, and became very flexible. Hey it can benefit you and Jord *wink* By the way, I want a Milky Way bar now!