Vicky's Progress

Kelly's Progress

Kathleen's Progress

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

I HATE to Exercise!


Yeah....I'm the one who hates to walk, run, or go to the gym. I do like to float in water....and I guess swim a time or two. I do like to hike, but not when it is too cold or hot outside. I like to dance.....but who goes to a club and dance when your 30 something? I know. I know. I need to do something. I am at the age that if I don't do anything now, it will be with me for eternity. So, here is my story.
I was thin until I hit 10 or 12 years old. All of a sudden the weight slowly crept on year after year. I was never "fat", but a bit chubby. I would love to be chubby again. Being labeled as obese is for the birds. I would like to lose 50 LBS. Ideally I should lose around 65 lbs. BUT, I know I will never be that skinny girl ever again. I am not being pessimistic....just realistic!
Through high school I always had the extra 10-15 lbs on me. Depending on the right outfit I could hide it well. Then college started....between eating junk food and snacking late at night...the pounds piled on...probably 8-10 pounds a year. If you do that four years in a roll, it really adds up and before you know it your pushing 180. *sigh* I stayed at that weight for a couple years after college, sometimes creeping up and down by about 5 lbs. In 1994 I met my husband and the weight soared out of control. By the time I married in 2000 I was over 200 lbs. Then it got worse. By 2003 I was over 280 lbs. I think a little of that sudden weight gain had to do with depression and suffering from a miscarriage. I really wanted to be a mommy. Apparently, I found comfort in food. Any type of food that wasn't good for you. I developed fertility problems too. I wanted to get pregnant again, and it was mentioned by my OBGYN that my weight could play a factor in my recent fertility problems. I changed little things about my lifestyle. I gave up soda and high calorie drinks and only drank water. I did increase my activity, but I wouldn't call it exercise, and I watched what I ate in moderation. By fall of 2004 I was down over 65 lbs and became pregnant! I ate even healthier being pregnant and instead of gaining weight, I actually lost another 10 lbs. while pregnant. I developed gestational diabetes while pregnant so sweets were out of the question and carbs had to be watched because we all know carbs turn into sugar! I didn't diet, I ate A LOT. I just ate healthier foods and couldn't get enough fruit in me. Watch out produce section, pregnant Vicky could eat all the fruit within minutes! LOL

I breastfed when Nolan came around, so I lost another 10 pounds before I became pregnant with Braydon. BTW- I got pregnant on my own without fertility meds. I was now down to less than 200 lbs. I lost weight when I became pregnant with Braydon initially, but then I did gain about 4-5 lbs. with him. I also breastfed him and went down to 190. Wow....my goal of 150 didn't seem to be out of reach anymore.
Unfortunately the past 2 years since Braydon has been born I have gained about 28 pounds. I recently started to lose this weight and still have about 18 pounds to go till I get to 190 again. Yes, I weigh 208.5 right now. I blame the high doses of prednisone I have been on the past year. I gain 15-20 pounds every time I take that stupid steroid. I have Lupus and Sjogren's Syndrome and according to my doctors I need steroid therapy. BLAH! OF COURSE I know that if I would exercise just a couple times a week, it would be to my advantage.
It is getting warm outside and my hubby wants to walk and do outdoor activities with the boys. He would like to lose a few pounds too. My problem is by the time I get home from work, I am exhausted. My Lupus is in remission, but the Sjogren's is being ugly right now causing fatigue and stiffness. Am I making excuses? Hmmmm...I guess I really need to give walking a try. I have heard people say that exercise gives them more energy. I will have to test that hypothesis out and let you know!
I will set 2 goals for myself this week. One, drink more water and less soda. Two, go out and walk 2 or 3 times before the end of the week. I'll let you know how I did next week! Wish me luck.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

I didn't know you liked to dance! You need to try Dance Dance Revolution. I'm sure I've mentioned it before? There's a pressure-sensitive pad you step on in place of a controller, and the steps are displayed on the screen. You'll be so busy jumping all over the place trying to hit the marks you won't notice you've basically been running your butt off for 20 minutes!

Megan said...

I tried DDR. Let's just say good thing there were no cameras.