Vicky's Progress

Kelly's Progress

Kathleen's Progress

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

I did it!

I am now down to my goal for mid-March of 140! Yay! I am also down to a small 12 pant size. Here are some tips on how I achieved this and hopefully they can help someone else!

1) Don't rush it. I only worked at losing a couple of pounds at a time and didn't starve myself (couldn't, because I'm breastfeeding). In the past I have tried crazy diets such as "don't eat ANY carbs, but have all the bacon, cheese, and fat you want." That didn't work for me at all, duh. Common sense is key.

2) Find replacements for most of your vices. I replaced a Hershey bar (270 calories, 16 grams of fat) with two squares of Lindt 85% Cocoa extra dark (105 calories, 9 grams of fat). Two squares of Lindt are a lot smaller than a Hershey bar, but it's super-concentrated and two squares is about all I can eat! It also has added benefits of antioxidants.
I've stopped using sugar in my coffee in favor of Splenda, and I use a little skim milk instead of creamer.
When I feel like dominating a big bag of something crunchy, I grab some Cheerios instead of potato chips. Even if you eat the entire box (and we're talking the BIG box) you won't have consumed all your calories for the day. It would also take forever to eat a whole box of Cheerios!
Quinoa makes a quick and easy snack or meal and is not an empty carb like some of the things I may be tempted to eat. If you haven't tried it, it's similar to grits with a somewhat beany taste. You can only get quinoa at Whole Foods as far as I know. Let me know if you need some and I'll pick you up a bag while I'm there. They're about $2.00.
If you start cutting sugar slowly, you'll soon find you're less and less pleased with high-sugar items. Bananas and fruit will start to appeal to you instead of cookies and candy.

3) Ditch your sodas for some water! Even if you drink diet soda. Water makes you feel better and, I don't know, it might help you lose weight! Drink it with lemon if you just can't stomach it plain.

4) Try to sneak in exercise little by little. I have my exercise bike now and I'd love to say I get on it every day for 20 minutes--but I don't. I can't use it while I'm watching Suzi because it'd be dangerous, and if I wait until she goes to bed I am too tired and then can't sleep when I'm done! The only solution is to tell myself I am just going to ride my bike for five minutes. When the five minutes is up, maybe I'll go for ten. If not, at least I've done five minutes! I can do another five later. This also gives me more energy for the rest of the day.


My next goal is to be at 135 and down to a size 10 by the end of April. To achieve that I'd like to plan more of our meals and get into the habit of exercising more regularly. The more weight you lose, the slower it comes off, but I'm going to do my best. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Vicky said...

Awesome Jenny! I am going to have to stick to my goals....I slipped a little last week and didn't go walking. I did drink more water!

Beth said...

You can actually find Quinoa at Publix and Bloom now....but it's not a very big box and costs more than $2! Congrats on reaching your min-goal!